WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- The cause of death of a sperm whale that has been washed up on the Spanish coast in February was released Friday after a necropsy, or animal autopsy.
- Marine experts say that the whale didn’t die from shark attacks or beaching itself, but because of what’s inside the male cetacean’s stomach — 64 pounds of plastic.
- The Telegraph reported that the 33-foot whale’s death was attributed to gastric shock after ingesting a load of plastic, including bags, nets, ropes and even a plastic gas can.
The death of a sperm whale found on a beach in Cabo de Palos in the Murcia region of Spain in February angers environmentalists and emphasizes the increasing concern about plastic waste and other litter in the oceans.
After the autopsy, the Experts from the El Valle Wildlife Recovery Center determined that the whale died when the plastic blocked its digestive system. An infection of the abdomen, called peritonitis, caused its death.
In July, a massive island of plastic floating in the Pacific Ocean was discovered, the National Geographic reported. The island of garbage spotted off the coasts of Chile and Peru was larger than the nation of Mexico.