WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- President Donald Trump’s budget proposal on Monday wants to cut food assistance to low-income families described as a “Blue Apron-type program.”
- Big chunks were also proposed for housing and healthcare.
- Trump wanted a large increase in military spending and proposed work requirements for some federal programs that include housing subsidies and Medicaid.
The Democrats quickly criticized the proposal. Top Democrat on the House Budget Committee, Rep. John Yarmuth of Kentucky said:
“The Trump budget proposal makes clear his desire to enact massive cuts to health care, anti-poverty programs and investments in economic growth to blunt the deficit-exploding impact of his tax cuts for millionaires and corporations.”
Trump’s plan includes a 2019 deficit of $984 billion. But Mick Mulvaney, the White House budget director admitted that the more feasible estimate is $1.2 trillion. $7tn is estimated to add to the national deficit.
Dan Coats, the director of national intelligence, told Congress on Tuesday the increasing deficit was one of the most serious threats facing US national and economic security.
The Trump administration suggested slashing food stamps, officially called the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, by $17 billion in 2019 and over $213 billion during the next ten years.
Food Research and Action Center president, Jim Weill, said: “The president’s budget proposes to replace in significant part the very successful current system of having SNAP recipients use EBT cards to purchase food through grocery stores, supermarkets, farmers markets, and other normal commercial channels with a Rube-Goldberg designed system of commodity distribution via food boxes that will be administratively costly, inefficient, stigmatizing, and prone to failure, and that will return the country to Depression-era anti-hunger approaches.”
Trump’s 2019 fiscal year budget proposal involves a 14 percent cut to Housing and Urban Development, amounting to $6.8 billion. That’s a larger cut than the last year’s proposal, which had been the most significant cut to HUD since the 1980s.
Trump’s budget proposal also asks for cutting federal Medicaid funding considerably over the next ten years. It would occur, in part, by eliminating the Medicaid expansion embraced by almost three dozen states under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) which allow families with slightly higher incomes to join the program.
“The president’s budget request is always considered dead on arrival in Congress, especially in an election year. My concern is that it leaves open a space for a compromise to be less severe but still a significant cut to programs,” said Diane Yentel, president and chief executive of the National Low Income Housing Coalition.
Source: The Washington Post