Toddler dies of cancer after being repeatedly misdiagnosed with constipation


  • A 3-year-old girl in Britain died of rare cancer after she was repeatedly misdiagnosed with constipation, according to the Daily Mail.
  • On April 1, 2017, Francesca Sio died after going into cardiac arrest, several days after she was prescribed laxatives by two different physicians a few days apart.
  • Later on, doctors determined that Francesca died from a yolk sac tumor, a rare, malignant tumor that affects the ovaries or testes which according to research, had the tumor been identified early, Francesca could have an 80 percent survival rate.

A 3-year-old girl in Britain died of rare cancer after she was repeatedly misdiagnosed with constipation and,  the Daily Mail reports.

According to her parents, John and Lorraine Sio, of Bromley, England, they brought Francesca to a doctor after she came down with a fever and struggled with bowel movements in March 2017. They claimed that the little girl was diagnosed with constipation by the physician who prescribed laxatives.

The toddler’s symptoms worsened after six days so she was taken to a hospital again, where a different pediatrician determined that Francesca was constipated. A nurse at the hospital reportedly tried to insert a suppository, but it was ineffective. Once again, the family was given laxatives to ease the toddler’s bowel issues.

After four days, Francesca woke up in the middle of the night, crying in pain and had difficulty breathing, according to the Daily Mail. She immediately went into cardiac arrest and died in the early morning hours of April 1, 2017.

John and Lorraine requested an inquest into her passing but they were denied at first because they were told their daughter had died of “natural causes.” Later on, doctors determined that Francesca died from a yolk sac tumor, a rare, malignant tumor that affects the ovaries or testes. According to research, had the tumor been identified early, the 3-year-old could have an 80 percent survival rate.

“We feel that at every point she was let down by the medical professionals she came into contact with,” John Sio said. “We believe Francesca exhibited symptoms that were looked at by a number of doctors overly optimistically, instead of with caution, meaning crucial diagnostic tests were not undertaken.”

According to the Daily Mail, the High Court eventually granted John and Lorraine Sio an inquest, which will be held in November. A spokesperson for the hospital where Francesca was first treated told the Daily Mail that medical staff had followed proper procedure during the toddler’s visit.

“When she was seen in the emergency department the symptoms were consistent with constipation,” the spokesperson said. “Following Francesca’s death we undertook a review of the case and sought an external opinion which did not identify any deficiencies or missed opportunities in her care that would have resulted in a different outcome.”


Source: AOL.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *