WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- A man from Arizona died on Sunday after being attacked and stung by bees when he attempted to get rid of a hive that he found on the couch outside his home.
- The victim, Epigmenio Gonzalez, 51, who was found by Rural Metro first responders covered with bees died at the local hospital later.
- Every year, 58 people are reported to have been killed by these insects which are the most dangerous among nondomestic animals.
On Sunday, Arizona authorities reported the death of a 51-year-old man from Yuma, Arizona who, after attempting to remove a beehive from a couch in his backyard, was stung by a swarm of killer bees.
According to the Facebook announcement from the Yuma County Sheriff’s Office, the bees were agitated when Epigmenio Gonzalez tried to remove the hive from an old couch. He then ran out to his front yard where Deputies and Rural Metro found him covered with bees.
“Rural Metro sprayed the victim with water to allow first responders to remove the victim from the scene,” the statement reads.
Unfortunately, Gonzales later died at a local hospital. Authorities say that a woman staying at the same home was hospitalized as well for bee stings. Although first responders were also stung, no medical attention was needed.
PEOPLE have requested for a comment but the authorities with the sheriff’s office did not immediately respond.
According to the Washington Post, 58 people are killed every year from stings of bees, wasps and hornets. Among nondomestic animals, bees, wasps and hornets are reported to present the most danger-killing 478 people between 2008 and 2015.
Last fall, a Texas couple was attacked by honeybees they encountered outside their Wallis residence. While mowing the lawn, Vern Roberts who got the brunt of the attack was stung on his ears, mouth and down his throat, while his wife, Mary, who came to help, endured several bee stings as well.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, these insects are usually present during the warmer months. Their nests and hives are typically found in trees, under roof eaves and other equipment.
The CDC recommends to whoever is stung by a bee, wasp or hornet, to wash the bite area with soap and water then remove the stinger by using gauze or your fingernail to scrape the area. But experts warn against using tweezers or squeezing to remove the stinger.