- Paternal grandfather of a 1-month-old baby boy in Beijing, China, gave the baby a sip of alcoholic beverage during its full month celebration because of a dare.
- The baby was having trouble breathing and was rushed to the hospital where he reportedly had died.
- Alcohol absorbs quickly in a child’s body compared to an adult, even a small amount of alcohol can lead to serious illness or even death.
A 1-month-old baby boy in Beijing, China, reportedly died after he was given a sip of alcohol at a family party by his grandfather.
According to Sin Chew Daily reports, it was in the celebration of the baby’s full month on July 12, where family and friends gathered at their home, when the incident happened.
The baby’s paternal grandfather who was not identified, was holding the child at the party and proposed a toast, when a relative jokingly dared that he should have the baby take a sip before he could drink.
The grandfather caved in to the dare and gave the baby a sip of an alcoholic beverage. It was already late when the mother discovered what had happened and took the baby back who had already begun struggling to breathe.
The baby was rushed to the hospital where he reportedly died.
According to The National Capital Poison Center, even a small amount of alcohol can cause alcohol poisoning to children which may lead to serious illnesses and even death.
Compared to adults, children’s bodies absorb alcohol more quickly leading to a faster onset of dangerous symptoms.
Alcohol lowers the glucose (sugar) level in the body when it depresses the central nervous system. Low blood sugar in the brain can cause seizures and comas. It also affects breathing, heart rate and blood pressure may slow down to a dangerous or even fatal level.
In case a child swallows alcohol, parents or guardians should call American Association of Poison Control Centers at 1-800-222-1222. They would need to provide info about the name of the alcoholic product, the amount that was consumed, how long ago the incident took place and the child’s weight and age.
In the worst case that the child has swallowed dangerous amount of alcohol, has suffered a seizure, has trouble breathing, has collapsed and can’t be awakened, call 911.