WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- A mom from Oregon is sharing her story of how her 10-month-old son accidentally plunged down the heating vent, as a reminder to parents to be on alert about the simplest possible safety hazards.
- Saydie Reedy said that upon discovering that her son fell down the vent, she called 911 who immediately dispatched the police and the fire department.
- Because the house was currently under renovation, a screw from the door of the vent came off leaving the vent accessible to Reedy’s children who were playing nearby.
An Oregon mother is urging fellow parents to think of even the smallest safety hazards after her 10-month-old son had fallen 8 feet down a heating vent.
The mother, Saydie Reedy, was washing dishes at their Coburg home when she realized that for two minutes she hadn’t heard from her two sons- Jackson, 3, and Kolson, 10 months- who were playing nearby.
Reedy told Good Morning America the terrifying moment when she went to check on them and Kolson was nowhere to be found while Jackson was pointing to the heating vent in the floor saying, “Baby in.”
It turned out that the house was undergoing renovations and the gate of the vent was not properly screwed in, making it easy for her two little boys to gain access to it.
“I couldn’t even fathom that my baby was down a vent. I never even thought of that,” she said. Panicking, she said she quickly called the police who responded quickly and rescued Kolson after finding him in a crawl space down the heating vent.
On her Facebook account, the relieved mom shared a photo of Officer Kevin Wilson, the police officer who crawled down the vent, holding the rescued boy in his arms, along with the caption: “My 10-month-old fell 8 feet under the house. It was a team effort by Coburg Fire Department and Coburg Police, but this is the man that pulled my little chubbs out of the vent.”
Wilson recounted the incident to GMA saying that he could hear Kolson crying as he crawled to the heat register under the house. Once he reached the boy 8 feet down the vent, he grabbed the boy’s arm and lifted him back through the vent.
Remarkably, Kolson emerged totally unhurt by the ordeal save for a few scratches and is very dirty.
To show her gratitude, Reedy brought Kolson for a visit to the Coburg Police Department, which Wilson said it was “really emotional”.
“I think afterwards you look back and think, ‘Was it really that bad?’ and then you think it through and it was bad and could have been way worse,” Wilson told the outlet.
“The very thing you’re thinking a kid would never do, they’ll do. You have to think the way they’d be thinking and think of the things their fingers can get on.”