WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- World-famous survival expert Bear Grylls was almost knocked out after an allergic reaction to a bee sting sent him to a ‘life-threatening’ anaphylactic shock.
- He was quickly treated with an EpiPen to counteract the venom.
- Medics found the situation ‘bizarre’ as the survivalist had conquered more impossible obstacles.
You would think world-famous survival expert Bear Grylls was indestructible. The 45-year-old adventure-seeker has conquered cliff climbs, wrestled crocodiles, and survived forest fires. So when he was stung by a bee while filming his upcoming show, it was quite unbelievable that an allergic reaction almost knocked him out.
According to the Daily Star, the former military man was stung by a bee while he was on a boat on a remote Pacific island where he was recording his upcoming series “Treasure Island.”
Islander Mano Shanmug-anathan, who was also a brain surgeon, told the Star, “I think that Bear is an impressive guy. He understands his tasks at hand and knows what he has to achieve.”
Grylls had apparently tried to continue the shoot, but his condition worsened. Moments later, he suffered a “life-threatening” anaphylactic shock.
Medics rushed toward him and treated him with an EpiPen to counteract the venom.
Shanmug-anathan was surprised that the survival expert would suffer such a severe reaction.
“The irony of Bear the survivalist being stung, having the potential of an allergic reaction, and needing to be treated with an EpiPen, was a bizarre moment. That was crazy!” the islander exclaimed.
According to the Evening Standard, Grylls discovered he had a bee allergy in 2008 when he was stung by one as he was cutting a honeycomb from a nest.
The show “Treasure Island” will launch next month. As reported by the Star, the series will follow strangers as they try to survive on a remote island for a month.
About $122,000 will be up for grabs, with the winners choosing whether to keep the money or share it with others.
Source: New York Post