WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- A devastated mother in California is warning other parents about the importance of reading ingredient labels after her daughter died due to a severe allergic reaction to a toothpaste ingredient.
- Denise Saldate, 11, had a dairy allergy but her family didn’t know that a toothpaste prescribed by her dentist contained milk protein.
- Monique Altamirano said her daughter had the allergy since she was one and the family had been very careful in reading food labels and felt that she “failed her” for not checking the toothpaste first.
California mom Monique Altamirano is warning parents the importance of reading ingredient labels after her daughter died of a fatal allergic reaction to her new toothpaste.
Eleven-year-old Denise Saldate was allergic to dairy but her family has no idea that the dentist-prescribed toothpaste contains Recaldent, a protein found in cow’s milk.
Altamirano said they didn’t check the toothpaste ingredients after years of never finding milk ingredients listed on toothpaste labels.
“Contrary to what everyone’s telling me, I feel like I failed her,” the heartbroken mother told Allergic Living.
She said that Denise had a dairy allergy since she was 1, and that the whole family had always read labels to make sure products were safe for the young girl. However, on April 4, tragedy struck.
“She said, ‘I think I’m having an allergic reaction to the toothpaste,’ and her lips were already blue,” Altamirano told the magazine. “I picked her up and put her on my bed. I ran to the living room, told my daughter ‘Call 911,’ and I grabbed the EpiPen.”
The mom-of four-girls said she administered the EpiPen and gave Denise her inhaler. The 911 operator then instructed her to begin CPR. The 5th-grader was taken to the hospital where she died after two days.
According to Altamirano, Denise was prescribed MI Paste ONE toothpaste, a special toothpaste that says in its label that it contains Recaldent.
Now, the mom cautions to “Read everything.”
She added: “Don’t get comfortable, just because you’ve been managing for several years. You can’t get comfortable or embarrassed to ask and ensure that ingredients are OK. Be that advocate for your child.”
Source: Fox News