WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- An arrest warrant has been issued for MMA’s biggest star, Conor McGregor, after an altercation at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn on Thursday.
- The UFC lightweight champion and about 20 “hoodlums” can be seen in a video footage throwing all sorts of objects at the bus in which fighters were waiting to be taken back to their hotel.
- At least two different windows were shattered injuring some of the passengers including Michael Chiesa, who was cut by broken glass.
UFC president Dana White confirms an arrest warrant has been issued for Conor McGregor.
“There is a warrant out for Conor McGregor’s arrest. They’re looking for him right now. His plan cannot take off. He cannot leave the state of New York with this warrant, they’ll be ground. I’m assuming eventually if they don’t catch him, he’ll turn himself in. You can imagine he’s going to be sued beyond belief and this was a real bad career move for him,” White said.
McGregor showed up unannounced at the arena with his crew. Once inside the building, he attacked the buses escorting the fighters out of the arena. McGregor was reportedly looking to confront Khabib Nurmagomedov, who was involved in a hotel confrontation with his teammate Artem Lobov earlier this week.
The Irish fighter and his crew started throwing all sorts of objects on the bus, including a dolly and a crowd barrier. Lightweight contender Michael Chiesa suffered several cuts from shattered windows and was taken to a hospital for treatment.
“What happened here today is Conor and approximately 20 guys were let in through the doors by the MacLife guys, who were credentialed here. They got down to the loading docks where the fighters were getting onto the buses and started to attack the buses. Throwing trash cans and dollies and things like that,” White explained.
“Broke one of the windows and cut Michael Chiesa really bad. He cut his head, he cut his face. Rose Namajunas apparently was almost hit, she’s super upset right now. Hurt one of our employees, broke one of our employees’ knuckles and other injuries. Obviously everybody’s shaken up when 30 thug stormed. These guys are all cutting weight and getting ready for a fight.”
The New York State Athletic Commission pulled Chiesa from UFC 223 due to his injuries, according to his Twitter post. He was scheduled to fight Anthony Pettis on the UFC 223 pay-per-view main card on Saturday.
Aside from that, White confirmed that Lobov has also been pulled from the UFC 223 fight card. He was reportedly involved in the fracas that followed after the Barclays incident.
“This is the most disgusting thing that has ever happened in the history of the company,” White said about the incident.