WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- A woman who normally cleans her ears with cotton swabs every single day was found to have a bacterial infection after noticing hearing loss on her left ear.
- Results of a CT scan showed that the skull bone behind her ear had slowly been eaten away by the infection requiring immediate operation.
- The infection, according to surgeons, was caused by cotton fibers from the swabs she used that got lodged and accumulated in her ear.
A woman’s habit of cleaning her ears every day with cotton buds left her with a potentially fatal skull infection, according to reports.
The Australian magazine ‘That’s Life!’ reports 37-year-old Jasmine who said that after she had been cleaning her ears every night with cotton swabs, noticed she had trouble hearing on her left ear. After being checked by her doctor, she was initially given antibiotics for an ear infection. However, her hearing problems didn’t go away and soon after, noticed blood on the cotton swabs after cleaning her ears.
A hearing test indicated she had moderate deafness. After being referred to an ear, nose and throat specialist who ordered a CT scan, the results were shocking: Jasmine was suffering from a bacterial infection that was “eating away” at her skull bone behind her ear, reported That’s Life!.
The specialist reportedly told Jasmine that she should have consulted with him ‘four or five years’ ago, and that she immediately needs surgery.
Eventually, a 5-hour surgery was carried out to remove the infected tissue and reconstruct Jasmine’s ear canal. The surgeons found cotton fibers stuck in her ear causing the infections.
“The cotton had been collecting and festering for as long as five years, and my skull bone behind the ear was paper-thin,” related Jasmine.
Business Insider says that it’s a misconception that cleaning our ears with cotton swabs is safe. It isn’t. Even the Q-tips packaging advises, ‘Do not insert swab into ear canal’.
Generally, putting things including cotton swabs in the ears should be avoided, according to the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNSF). In fact, using swabs to clean the ear are rather inefficient and all the more pushes earwax into the ear. In addition, they also irritate or injure the ear such as causing a punctured eardrum or ear infection, according to AAO-HNSF.
Although her infection was treated by the surgery, Jasmine’s hearing loss remained permanent.
“I now try to warn every one of the dangers of misusing cotton buds,” she said while reminding people too that the ears are delicate and sensitive body parts that need to be treated with utmost care.
Source: Live Science