WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- A widow says that energy drinks, which her husband drank once daily, had caused his death.
- The husband had always been working out, doesn’t smoke nor drink, and was overall healthy, but he had a heart attack and went to a coma since.
- After the heart attack, doctors initially thought he had a history of diabetes because his sugar levels went extremely high, but eventually ruled out that he didn’t have diabetes at all.
Forty-nine-year-old Cassondra Reynolds from Rancho Santa Margarita, California claimed that energy drinks were the cause of her husband, John’s eventual death. Her husband had a habit of drinking one can of it once a day; in 2011, John had a heart attack and was left in a coma for weeks.
The heart attack was a shock to her because “John was healthy, he worked out every day, he had had a full physical examination the month prior and all his results came back fine.” She added that he didn’t even smoke nor drink.
Following the attack, John’s sugar levels went high. This made the doctors assumed he had a history of diabetes. But after ruling out that he didn’t, Reynolds was asked if John drank energy drinks.
Reynold told the UK paper, “Eventually, the doctor asked me if he drank energy drinks which I replied yes, but only once a day. He immediately explained that it only takes one energy drink to throw off the rhythm of your heart causing a heart arrhythmia.”
In February 2011, two weeks after John had a cardiac arrest, Reynolds didn’t have a choice but to turn off John’s life support as doctors were not able to save him.
Cassondra and John had three sons aged 5, 6, and 8 years old during this time. Before letting John go, Reynolds took a final picture of him and their sons. She said, “Telling them that their dad had passed away was the second hardest thing I’ve ever had to do, the first being turning off his life support.”
Now, Reynolds started a group called Energy Drink & Pre-Workout Awareness to share her, and other people’s stories about energy drinks.
According to her, “The doctor told me that drinking energy drinks is like playing Russian roulette with your life, and that really stuck with me.”
Source: New York Post