WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- When a fire broke out in a household sick with COVID-19, a coronavirus-free family member managed to smell the burnt plastic and led them out of the fire.
- A total of 10 family members and 4 dogs were rescued from the burning house.
- The family is now being assisted by the Red Cross and the Waco community with their needs while they look for a new house.
Losing the sense of smell is one of COVID-19’s major symptoms. For a family who are infected with the virus, a fire would really spell disaster. Thanks to one family member who is not sick with the virus, the worst scenario did not happen.
At around 2am, Bianca Rivera started to smell burnt plastic. “And that’s when I got more alert and ran outside of my room and I couldn’t even pass the hallway because it was filled with so much smoke.”
The 20-year-old jumped into action and woke everyone up. She opened their back door and got her family of 10 and their four dogs out safely one by one.
When the Waco Fire Department reached their one-story home on the 2200 Block of Joey Drive around 3 a.m., it was already “heavily involved in fire.”
Despite the daring rescue, Bianca does not count herself a hero.
She said, “It was just me protecting my family and getting them to [safety]. It didn’t matter to me if I was going to get hurt or I was going to get burned. As long as I got them out safe and sound, I was going to be fine.”
The fire rendered the family homeless and according to Bianca, her grandparents have been helping them by providing them with essential items like shoes and clothing. The Red Cross has also been assisting them.
For now, they are renting a motel room and trying to find a new residence.
The Waco community has also extended their help by providing lost items like laptops and iPads for school as well as set up a GoFundMe page for the family.
Bianca says, “We are very grateful and we appreciate everything they’re trying to do for us and God will bless them for many years to come for everything they’re trying to do for us.”