WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- The FDA issued a warning for consumers to be wary of hand sanitizers packaged to look like consumable products.
- The FDA says that the numbers of accidental ingestion of the product have recently increased.
- Accidental ingestion of hand sanitizer can cause symptoms like burning in the mouth and throat and an upset stomach, but can also cause death if ingested in large amounts.
A warning has been issued by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for consumers to watch out for hand sanitizers packaged in food and drink containers.
The FDA has discovered sanitizers that contain food flavors and scents like raspberry or chocolate. Their warning also indicates that these sanitizers are being packaged in children’s food pouches, juice bottles, water bottles, beer cans, and vodka bottles.
FDA Commissioner Dr. Stephen M. Hahn said in a statement that this is an increasingly concerning issue. If hand sanitizer is packaged to look like consumable products, consumers can be confused and accidentally ingest a “potentially deadly product.”
Dr. John Brancato, an emergency physician at Connecticut Children’s says this is a “high-risk problem, like detergent ‘pods’ made to look like toys or candy.”
The FDA also said that there has been an “increasing number of adverse events with hand sanitizer ingestion.” Though most people know hand sanitizer shouldn’t be ingested, food-like packaging of the product increases the risk of accidental ingestion.
Though hand sanitizer has ingredients safe to apply on the skin, these can be toxic when ingested. Adults who accidentally ingest the product can suffer side effects like diarrhea, and upset stomach, or nausea.
Children who accidentally consume a tiny amount can experience burning in the throat and mouth. Anything more than that can be serious. If ingested in large amounts, hand sanitizer can even cause death in both adults and children.