WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- Stephen Hawking is an English theoretical physicist, cosmologist and author of several bestseller books about the universe and our existence.
- He has predicted that the end of the human race may be our own doing.
- Hawking said that we are currently at the most dangerous moment in the development of humanity.
Stephen Hawking voiced out his opinion, or more like predictions, on how humanity can be wiped out. The Brief History of Time author advised us that we should all calm down and focus on something more worthwhile other than killing each other.
Hawking thinks the human race is heading to extinction in five different ways.
- Professor Hawking is against the Messaging Extraterrestrial Intelligence (METI) project. This project’s objective is to send messages into space and contact extraterrestrial intelligence.
Hawking thinks that this is a terrible idea because aliens can come to the planet and wipe us all.
“If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn’t turn out well for the Native Americans,” he said.
- Hawking believes that by the year 2600, the planet is going to turn into a burning ‘ball of fire’ due to several reasons such as climate change, demands for energy and a rising population.
Escaping to space is our only hope of survival, according to Hawkins and cited his Breakthrough Starshot project could be the first step on the way.
- Hawking is not a fan of Donald Trump whom he described as a ‘demagogue’.
“Trump’s action could push the Earth over the brink, to become like Venus, with a temperature of two hundred and fifty degrees, and raining sulphuric acid,” Hawking said. “Climate change is one of the great dangers we face, and it’s one we can prevent if we act now.”
- Hawking also warned that machines would eventually overtake human intelligence, and could even replace us inevitably.
“Computers will overtake humans with AI within the next 100 years,” he said. “When that happens, we need to make sure the computers have goals aligned with ours. Humans, who are limited by slow biological evolution, couldn’t compete, and would be superseded.”
- Lastly, Hawking said that human aggression is a trait that worked during the early civilization but now a liability in the age of nuclear weapons.
‘The human failing I would most like to correct is aggression. It may have had survival advantage in caveman days, to get more food, territory or a partner with whom to reproduce, but now it threatens to destroy us all,” he said in an interview with The Independent.
“A major nuclear war would be the end of civilization, and maybe the end of the human race.”
Stephen Hawking noted that we currently have the ability to destroy our planet, but not the ability to escape it.