WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- A four-year-old boy was sent into surgery after ingesting magnetic toys.
- Beck White had to have part of his colon, intestine and appendix removed, according to his mom’s Facebook post.
- In her post, Jennifer warns other parents about the dangers tiny magnets can do to children.
Beck White was playing with a toy he received last Christmas when it broke open. The four-year-old boy swallowed 13 magnets from a building blocks toy.
Jennifer White, Beck’s mom, said at first she thought her son had the flu.
“He started to vomit a very dark color. It looked like coffee grounds,” White wrote. “At that point, I knew something was very wrong.”
Beck’s parents rushed him to a hospital in Appleton before he was transferred to a children’s hospital for surgery. An X-ray result revealed Beck had swallowed the tiny magnets.
“He had swallowed 13 of them,” his mom said. “He snapped them right open and started to ingest them. And of course we had no idea.”
The magnets began to cut holes in his intestines, White said.
“When he individually ingested them, they were doing what magnets do and trying to get to each other through his intestines. And it created holes in the lining, so they had to fix those,” she narrated.
White said Beck is autistic so they are always very careful with his playthings. She vowed not to bring any toys with small magnets into their home.
“The pull of the magnetic force through the wall of the intestine or the stomach can eat away at your intestine or stomach, causing an infection. Now, the magnet is not going to leave your body,” Jennifer Hoekstra, an injury prevention specialist at Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital in Grand Rapids, Michigan, told TODAY.
“We can’t delay treatment,” Hoekstra added. “It is really, really important that parents are very mindful of what stuff in the house has magnets.”