WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- A mother from Atlanta, Georgia said her son accidentally swallowed one of his AirPods and she had to rush him to the emergency room earlier this week.
- The 7-year-old said he was holding the AirPod in his mouth while his grandmother was driving when he accidentally swallowed his Christmas gift.
- X-rays showed the single AirPod in the second-grader’s stomach while doctors told his mom that the device should pass through the boy’s body on its own within a couple of days.
A 7-year-old boy from Atlanta, Georgia accidentally swallowed his expensive Christmas gift earlier this week.
Kiara Stroud, the boy’s mother, was at work delivering mail when her mother called her up saying that she was on her way to the hospital with Stroud’s son after he swallowed an AirPod.
“I immediately U-turned my truck,” Stroud told WSB-TV.
The second-grader told his mom that he was holding the AirPod in his mouth while his grandmother was driving and he accidentally swallowed it.
X-rays from the doctors at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta at Egelston showed the single wireless headset device in the boy’s stomach, still intact. Doctors advised that the AirPod should pass through the boy’s body on its own within a couple of days.
“We actually saw it because it has metal in it, so we could see it in the X-ray and I’m like, ‘This boy really swallowed his AirPod!’” Stroud said.
Stroud said the boy was “very nervous” about the incident and is scared of getting too close to his phone. He said he’s afraid that the devices could connect and music could start playing inside him. Otherwise, Stroud is relieved that her son is okay.
In May 2019, a Taiwanese man accidentally swallowed an AirPod while sleeping. Ben Hsu woke up and only saw one wireless earbud and after activating the iPhone tracking feature, heard the missing AirPod’s beep from inside his stomach.
Instead of undergoing surgery, doctors gave Hsu a laxative and told him to check his waste for signs of the AirPod — which he did the following day. After cleaning it, he was amazed to find out that it still worked.