Hand sanitizer catches fire and burns woman

WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:

  • Kate Wise suffered severe burns when her hand sanitizer caught fire when lighting a candle.
  • Around 18% of her body was burned. 
  • The incident caused a bomb-like explosion to occur and the fire spread to her house.

People use hand sanitizer regularly, especially with the coronavirus pandemic going on.

In Round Rock, Texas, a single mom was left with second- and third-degree burns after hers caught fire. Kate Wise applied hand sanitizer to her hands after putting her three daughters to sleep. She then went to light a candle and the fire somehow came into contact with the hand sanitizer. Within several seconds, her body was “consumed in flames.”

The incident also caused a “bomb-like explosion” that burned 18% of Wise’s body. A GoFundMe page has been set up to help cover her medical expenses.

Photo Credit: GoFundMe

A spokesperson from the Round Rock Fire Department Will Hampton confirms that around 8pm on Sunday, crews were dispatched after the report of a structure fire.

Wise was transported via ambulance to a nearby hospital in Austin.

The brand and store where she purchased the sanitizer are unclear, but Hampton says any hand sanitizer, no matter the brand, is flammable.

Though Wise did not lose her entire house to the fire, much of her furniture and some possessions were lost to smoke damage. She says the worst part of the incident is knowing that her children had to see her in pain.

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention says on its website that fire-related incidents for ABHS are low, however, the products still need to be stored safely and their dispensers well maintained.

Kathryn Bonesteel, a friend who set up the GoFundMe page, also advises against using off-brand hand sanitizer. The CDC also recommends that you sanitize your hands with soap and water whenever it’s available.

Source: PEOPLE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *