WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- GoFundMe has agreed to give back the money raised for homeless veteran Johnny Bobbitt, says attorney Chris Fallon.
- The campaign raised around $400,000 for Bobbitt but after the couple who started the campaign withheld the funds, a legal battle ensued.
- Fallon states that the initial money received from GoFundMe will be used to get the homeless ex-Marine an apartment and food.
Johnny Bobbitt’s attorney Chris Fallon has confirmed that his client will receive the $400,000 he was owed, which was raised for him in a GoFundMe campaign.
Fallon states that GoFundMe “have agreed to make sure he will be made whole.”
In a statement released by the company, GoFundMe assured that it would back the money raised:
“…Our platform is backed by the GoFundMe Guarantee, which means that in the rare case that GoFundMe, law enforcement or a user finds campaigns are misused, donors and beneficiaries are protected.”
Fallon stated that Bobbitt has already received $20,000 as a guarantee, which will be used to get him an apartment and food.
The rest of the money will be handed over after GoFundMe has completed their investigation of the items seized by the Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office.
The GoFundMe campaign was started by couple Kate McClure and Mark D’Amico after Bobbitt helped McClure out with his last $20 when she ran out of gas and was stranded last October.
The page entitled “Paying it Forward” garnered incredible response – a total of $402,706 was donated by 14,347 people over the course of 10 months.
After reportedly not receiving the full amount, Bobbitt has accused the couple of fraud. Bobbitt’s attorney attested that his client has only seen about $75,000 and should have received around $300,000 more, even after GoFundMe’s fees.
Meanwhile, the couple’s attorney declared they had already given Bobbitt over $200,000.
While the couple repeatedly denied any wrongdoing, they were handed a court order deadline to turn over the cash.
The couple agreed in court Thursday to let a forensic accountant inspect their books to see where the funds were deposited.
Burlington County Prosecutor Scott A. Coffina’s stated that a search warrant of their home was executed Thursday, but the couple has not been charged with anything.
The couple claims they withheld the rest of the funds to wait until Bobbitt secured a job and was drug-free.
D’Amico reportedly told The Philadelphia Inquirer that he’d rather burn the money in front of Bobbitt than give it to him because giving an addict money would be like “giving him a loaded gun.”
Bobbitt’s attorney confirmed that his client does have a drug addiction problem, but has plans to participate in a month-long rehab program.
A deposition on Monday will have Bobbitt and the couple appearing on court, as New Jersey’s Superior Court Judge Paula T. Dow wanted the couple to answer questions in person, instead of only hearing from their attorney.
Source: NBC News