WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- A small town in Italy has wiped out the coronavirus in just a few weeks because of the drastic measures they have taken.
- The town which has 3,300 residents was the first place in Italy to have a case of death due to the virus. This caused it to be put on lockdown.
- After two weeks of lockdown, the town had only 0.25% who are infected, in which they were put in quarantine.
In the midst of the rise of coronavirus cases in the country, a small town in Italy has reduced its infections to zero last week. This is following the drastic measures that were implemented in the town in an effort to prevent further infections.
Located in the northern part of Italy, the town named Vo Euganeo is home to 3,300 residents. It had the first death from the virus on February 21. The town experienced the outpour of COVID-19 infections starting the third week of February.
Because of the first case of death in Vo Euganeo, the whole town underwent a strict lockdown for two weeks. Followed by mass testing of all residents, for the virus. This helped in identifying those who are infected.
According to ProMarket, which is a blog of the Stigler Center at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, the tests showed that there were around 3% carrying the virus, with most of them being asymptomatic.
After the lockdown, Vo Euganeo only had 0.25% of cases, where they have since been isolated. They have then reopened the town.
Since Friday, March 13, there were no new cases that were reported from Vo Euganeo, said Sky News.
Professor of Microbiology at the University of Padua in Italy, Andrea Cristani told RFI that “the lesson we learned is that isolating all positive cases, whether they were sick or not, we were able to reduce transmission by 90 percent.”
Source: Live Science