WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- Johnson & Johnson has cautioned people against the dangers from taking on Tiktok’s Benadryl challenge and said it should be immediately removed from social platforms.
- The stunt, which involved consuming high doses of the medication to hallucinate, was blamed for an Oklahoma girl’s death and other teens who were treated for overdose.
- Benadryl is used to simply treat allergic reactions, but when taken in large doses, can create fatal side effects including seizures and cardiac arrests.
Pharmaceutical manufacturer Johnson & Johnson has warned parents of the dangers brought about by the viral Benadryl challenge following the death of a teenager in Oklahoma while several others in Texas were hospitalized after overdosing from the drug.
The challenge was held responsible for the death of a 15-year-old girl from Oklahoma last month, the station KFOR reports. The outlet also reported in May that at least three teenagers in Fort Worth, Texas were hospitalized from doing the challenge.
The harebrained experiment involves TikTok users goading each other to drink large amounts of Benadryl to hallucinate and then posting the footage on the social media app.
“The Benadryl TikTok trend is extremely concerning, dangerous and should be stopped immediately,” the antihistamine maker told Too Fab Monday about the reckless stunt.
Benadryl is a medication usually taken to ease allergic reactions from symptoms like hay fever. However, when taken in excessive amounts to effect hallucination, it can lead to potentially life-threatening side effects such as seizures and heart problems, according to Scott Schaeffer, director of the Oklahoma Center for Poison and Drug Information.
He also added that large quantities of Benadryl may also cause the heart not to pump blood effectively thus may result in cardiac arrests.
However, it’s a good thing, says Shaeffer, that educators are helping parents be aware of the perils and risks of these foolish and dangerous feats on social media platforms.
Johnson & Johnson also claims that it’s collaborating with TikTok to impose “the removal of content across social platforms that showcase this behavior.”
Tiktok has become the breeding ground of unsafe and daredevil challenges. Earlier this year, the social media platform was the platform of choice for the “skull-breaker” challenger which was regarded by doctors as extremely deadly.
Source: New York Post