Jussie Smollett sued by the City of Chicago over costs of police investigation

WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:

  • Chicago is suing ‘Empire’ actor Jussie Smollett for not paying the city the damages sustained during the investigations of his hate crime attack.
  • Among the costs involved are more than a thousand hours worked overtime for police and detectives working on the case, as well as litigations costs.
  • Additionally, the city is also demanding that the actor should pay for every false statement that he gave to police; he is given 7 days to cover the amount.

Actor Jussie Smollett is being sued by the city of Chicago for failing to pay more than $130,000 worth of police investigations of his hate crime attack reports, according to court documents.

The lawsuit which was filed in Cook County court on Thursday comes following the actor’s refusal to pay a $130,106.15 bill that covers police overtime rates during the course of the investigation.

Although Smollett was given seven days to pay the city, his lawyers claimed that the demand intentionally torments and “irreparably injures Mr. Smollett.”

According to the lawsuit, more than two dozen police officers and detectives worked on Smollett’s case which took them two weeks totaling to 1,836 hours overtime. In addition, Smollett is also being asked by Chicago to pay each “false statement” he made to the police for $1,000 each and to cover attorneys’ fees and other litigation costs as well.

However, Smollett’s attorney refused to comment on the lawsuit.

To determine the exact amount that Smollett could pay, the complaint is requesting a jury trial. But under the current city code, the city could ask the actor to pay three times the amount of all costs charged in his account, which is over $390,000.

Smollett had first reported to the police that he was attacked on January 29 by two men. Police said that Smollett said the attackers screamed racist slurs and homophobic insults while hitting him, poured bleach on him and placed a noose around his neck.

After days of investigations, police eventually came to believe that the “Empire” actor may have choreographed the attack in a bizarre move to boost his career.

Last month, all 16 felony charges of disorderly conduct against Smollett were dropped.  Though the actor repeatedly said that he was telling the truth about the attack, prosecutors say the charges were dismissed after forfeiting bail money and performing community service.

 

Source: CNN

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *