WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- Justin Bieber has denied a sexual assault allegation and provided a litany of evidence to prove that the assault was “factually impossible.”
- The singer shared receipts, emails, photos, social media posts, and press reports in a series of tweets to back up his argument.
- He said that he took the matter seriously which is why he made sure to gather the facts before making any statement.
Justin Bieber has denied a sexual assault allegation and he has receipts — literal ones.
The singer shared receipts, emails, photos, social media posts, and press reports in a series of tweets to back up his argument that the assault was “factually impossible.”
A woman made the allegation in a post from an anonymous Twitter account on Saturday night. She claimed that the alleged assault happened on March 9, 2014 at a Four Seasons hotel in Austin, Texas. It reportedly lines up with Bieber’s surprise appearance at the South By Southwest (SXSW) music festival.
Bieber declared: “I want to be clear. There is no truth to this story. In fact as I will soon show I was never present at that location,” referring to the hotel the accuser stated.
Bieber addressed the allegation on Twitter on Sunday night, stating: “I don’t normally address things as I have dealt with random accusations my entire career but after talking with my wife and team I have decided to speak up on an issue tonight.”
“Rumors are rumors but sexual abuse is something I don’t take lightly. I wanted to speak out right away but out of respect to so many victims who deal with these issues daily I wanted to make sure I gathered the facts before I made any statement,” Bieber explained.
The singer confirmed that he indeed surprised the crowd at the SXSW festival, but argued that the accuser might not have known that he attended the festival with his then-girlfriend, Selena Gomez.
He then shared articles and photos confirming this in the following series of tweets:
The singer surmised how people may have mistaken he was staying at the Four Seasons hotel:
The singer also provided emails and receipts that show he stayed at an Airbnb on the night of the alleged assault and at a Westin hotel the next night.
The singer claimed that he had been using the name “Mike Lowery” in the receipt below as his alias, which he said he won’t be using anymore.
Bieber concluded that it’s impossible that the alleged incident took place. He then added that he’s planning to take legal action against the claim.
“Every claim of sexual abuse should be taken very seriously and this is why my response was needed. However this story is factually impossible and that is why I will be working with twitter and authorities to take legal action,” Bieber clarified.