WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- A Kentucky two-year-old boy ended up in the intensive care unit at Norton Children’s Hospital in Louisville after being bitten by disease-causing critters.
- Kayla Oblisk, 24, told Fox News that she found a tick from her son’s body in May after a quick trip to the park.
- After several days, Oblisk began to notice symptoms of what she would later learn was a potentially fatal disease called Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF).
A Kentucky mother said she found a tick on her son’s neck in May after a quick trip to the park. Several days later, Kayla Oblisk started noticing symptoms of what she would later learn was a potentially fatal disease called Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF).
About a week later, Oblisk’s 2-year-old son Jackson was in the intensive care unit at Norton Children’s Hospital in Louisville.
“We didn’t realize the actual seriousness of the situation until we were in the ICU,” Oblisk, 24, said.
Oblisk said she initially thought it was an ear infection but took Jackson to the pediatrician anyway. When his fever continued to get higher over the next several days, she rushed him to the emergency room.
They were notified that Jackson most likely had the RMSF, often fatal when it isn’t immediately treated.
“They said it’s very rare in children his age and it’s usually fatal by day eight. We were on day seven,” Oblisk said. “I cried. I cried a lot.”
When Jackson fell asleep on Sunday, he didn’t wake up until Thursday, “save for squirming and crying at painful medical tests.”
“My son does not sleep all day and sleep all night,” his mother said. “He was not conscious. He woke up in the middle to cry and scream in pain.”
Oblisk recalled Jackson had swelled up “like a balloon.” His hands and feet had grew several sizes and his eyes were swollen shut.
“They didn’t know if my child can make it through this — that’s the worst thing a parent can hear about a child,” she said.
Several days later, the toddler was finally able to stay awake and is now back to his normal smiles and giggles.
Oblisk says she hopes her story will encourage parents to take tick bites seriously and trust their intuition when it comes to their kids’ health.
“If you don’t speak up for them, nobody else will,” Oblisk said. “I felt like something was wrong before but I told myself I’m crazy because it’s my baby and I’m being overprotective. If I had spoken up sooner, maybe we wouldn’t have been through so much.”
A fundraising campaign via GoFundMe page was launched to help the family through their mounting medical bills.
Source: Inside Edition