WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- A couple in Las Vegas has filed a lawsuit against a dentist who they accused of setting their 5-year-old daughter’s mouth on fire.
- The incident happened during a routine dental procedure about a year ago at Just For Kids Dentistry & Orthodontics owned by Deep Karan Dhillon.
- According to the lawsuit, the dentist used a diamond bur to smooth the girl’s teeth when the tool emitted a spark that “caused the throat pack in (the girl’s) mouth to ignite and produce a fire.”
A Las Vegas dentist allegedly set a 5-year-old girl’s mouth on fire while she underwent a routine dental procedure, according to a lawsuit obtained by The Las Vegas Review-Journal.
The incident happened about a year ago when the girl’s parents took her to Just For Kids Dentistry & Orthodontics, which the lawsuit said is owned by Deep Karan Dhillon, to have multiple crowns placed on her teeth.
During the visit, Dhillon used a tool known as a diamond bur to smooth the girl’s teeth while she was under anesthetics. The tool emitted a spark that “caused the throat pack in (the girl’s) mouth to ignite and produce a fire,” according to the lawsuit.
The 5-year-old was then rushed to the hospital, where she stayed for four days with burns to her palate and lower lip. The complaint further alleges that the girl suffered burns to her epiglottis, throat, tongue, mouth, lips “and other surrounding areas.” Some of the injuries “may be permanent and disabling,” the lawsuit said.
The family is seeking more than $15,000 in damages.
Dhillon “fell below the minimally acceptable standard of dental care,” resulting in “disabilities, disfigurement, pain and suffering, future surgical procedures, and loss of enjoyment of life,” the complaint said.
Dhillon told The Las Vegas Review-Journal that he wasn’t aware of the lawsuit and declined to comment.