WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- A man from India went to a doctor after feeling pain and itchiness in his eyes.
- The doctors were shocked to find a 15-cm worm in his eyeball and also in his blood.
- The moment the doctor pulled out the squirming parasite from the man’s eye was captured in a video footage.
A 60-year-old man from India sought medical help from the New Medical Centre in Kundapur after feeling pain and itchiness in his eyes. The doctors found a parasite — a 15-cm worm — wriggling around his eyeball.
A doctor was able to pull out the live parasitic worm from the unidentified patient. The stomach-churning moment was captured in a video and has since been circulating on the internet.
After the successful removal of the parasite, the patient from Karnataka underwent further testing to examine his health. Results show that he also had worms in his blood.
It has not been determined how the parasite got into the man’s eye.
Having a parasitic worm or its larvae in the eye, called ocular filariasis, are typically transmitted by mosquitoes.
About 120 million ocular filariasis cases have been reported worldwide, with most records from Central Africa, South and Central America, and Asia. However, it is rare to be found in the eye.
Dr. Srikanth Shetty, the doctor who removed the worm, identified it as being from the Wuchereria Bancrofti species.
He said that the man did the right thing in seeking medical assistance immediately as the parasite can potentially damage the man’s eyesight permanently.
“The challenge was to pull out the worm live as killing it inside the eye would have created complications,” Dr. Shetty told the Daily Mail.
“It was also difficult to pin it down as it was moving around. The patient has worms in his blood also and has been put on medication,” the doctor added.
The video footage of the parasite-removal became viral MailOnline published an equally-gruesome footage of the moment a doctor pulled out a live and wriggling leech from a patient’s nostril.
The unidentified patient from Malaysia thought he got the leech while swimming in a river a couple of weeks earlier.
Source: Daily Mail