WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- A man from England warns others about the possible dangers of using a vape pen after it exploded inside his pocket.
- Bob Allsopp claims he was walking his dog when it burst into flames leaving him with third-degree burns on his leg.
- Allsopp said his vape brand was China-made KangerTech but when he noticed the battery was low, he used a different battery produced by another brand.
Bob Allsopp of Leeds, England is warning others about the potential dangers of e-cigarettes after he was left with third-degree burns when his vape pen burst into flames.
Allsopp, a former smoker, claims he was walking his dog with his KangerTech e-cigarette in his pocket when it suddenly exploded. He said he picked up a habit of putting his vape pen in his pocket after finding ways to quit smoking.
“It sounded like opening a bottle of pop. I looked down and my whole thigh was on fire,” Allsopp told British news agency, SWNS. “I was on fire for about 30 seconds. When I got home I had to peel my jeans away and put them outside as they were still smoldering.”
He recalled noticing the battery was low, so he looked for another one produced by a different brand that he had purchased on the Internet.
It was not reported if KangerTech warns against using another brand’s batteries in their products, especially when the China-based company assures that they “make every device 100 percent safe for customers.”
The company did warn against the use of counterfeit products being sold by third-party vendors. It was not determined where Allsopp bought his KangerTech vape pen.
KangerTech did not immediately issue a statement after the incident became public.
Allsopp went to the emergency room of a local hospital, but he was transferred to a burn unit at Pinderfield Hospital, where he stayed for more than a week. He was treated with antibiotics along with painkillers to treat an infection. He will also need a skin graft.
“I have third-degree burns across my whole right leg,“ he told the network. “I’m completely bed-bound and can’t stand up longer than 10 minutes. I can’t walk at the moment as I’m just in so much pain.”
Though Allsopp said that he had always purchased the same KangerTech e-cigarette without any issues before, the nurses at the hospital told him about other patients who encountered similar trauma.
Source: New York Post