Man’s Arm Amputated after Eating Contaminated Sushi


  • A man in South Korea lost his left forearm after eating contaminated raw seafood.
  • The unidentified 71-year-old man’s arm was amputated after large blisters developed on the palm of his left hand and quickly spread to the rest of his hand.
  • The patient reportedly developed a fever within 12 hours after consuming sushi and suffered excruciating pain in his hand.

An elderly man from South Korea had his left forearm amputated after contracting a bacterial infection from consuming contaminated sushi.

Just twelve hours after eating the raw fish, the 71-year-old developed a fever and his hand began to hurt badly as it swelled with purple blisters, according to a case study published last month in the New England Journal of Medicine.

The patient reportedly has multiple medical conditions including type 2 diabetes, hypertension and was facing end-stage renal disease (ESRD).

After two days of fever and excruciating hand pain, the man sought medical attention at the Chonbuk National University Medical School in Jeonju, South Korea.

Fluid from the golf-sized blister was drained, with doctors diagnosing the infection as vibrio vulnificus, a flesh-eating bacteria usually contracted by eating raw or undercooked seafood and by exposing a wound to seawater. The patient was also given antibiotics.

However, 25 days after his first hospital visit, the doctors had to perform an emergency surgery. The man contracted deep ulcers which caused necrosis—the tissues in his hand and arm started dying.

The man’s weakened immune system, brought about by his ESRD, made him prone to necrosis. They had to amputate his left forearm to prevent the dying tissues to spread to other parts of his body.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), vibriosis causes up to 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths in the U.S. each year.

Typically, the bacteria cause abdominal pain and diarrhea in healthy people, but they can be fatal for people with weak immune systems, particularly in patients suffering from a chronic liver disease.

Source: Huff Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *