Mom shares pics of bloody hospital room as son died from Covid after coughing fit


  • The nurse mom of a 13-year-old boy who died from COVID-19 shared photos of his hospital room sprayed with blood to urge people to take the pandemic seriously.
  • Peyton Baumgarth, who had asthma and a thyroid problem, died in October after a coughing fit while at the ICU of a Missouri children’s hospital.
  • His mom Stephanie Franek had rushed him to the hospital two days earlier after his nailbeds turned blue.

A grieving mother from St Louis, Missouri has shared the shocking images of a hospital room spattered with blood in an effort to encourage Americans to take the pandemic seriously.

Peyton Baumgarth died just six days after the first symptoms of Covid-19 appear. The 13-year-old boy was taken to a hospital after he became extremely fatigued and his nail beds turned blue. He passed away after two days in the ICU.

His mom, Stephanie Franek watched in desperation as doctors tried to save her son’s life as the treatment to oxygenate his blood didn’t work.

Franek,44, lost another loved one to Covid when her sister Cyndi Crawford, 57, died five weeks after Peyton passed.

Stephanie said: “One loss would have been heartbreaking alone but these two have completely shattered our hearts.”

The mother-of-two also tested positive for Covid-19 on October 25. She and Peyton had mild symptoms and began to quarantine at home.

She said: “His symptoms didn’t seem life threatening and we didn’t do a whole lot other than watch Netflix movies.”

But four days later, Stephanie became worried when Peyton couldn’t finish a sentence and she noticed that his fingernail and toenail beds had turned blue.

They went to SSM Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital in St Louis where Peyton died two days later.

Peyton’s oxygen levels had dropped to 44 per cent – a healthy person’s blood oxygen levels are between 95 to 100 per cent.

“As a nurse, I have never seen someone walking and talking with an oxygen saturation level of just 44 percent.

Stephanie said she never expected that Peyton would not be leaving the hospital.

“He had this big coughing fit and he basically started to hemorrhage in his chest.

As doctors tried to replace the ECMO tubes in Peyton’s neck, the blood that had pooled in his chest sprayed over the walls.

Stephanie, who had been allowed to be in the room as she had Covid, watched in horror as 10 nurses and four doctors desperately tried to save Peyton’s life before calling the time of death.

Stephanie suffered another loss when her sister Cyndi had Covid-19 a week before Thanksgiving and passed away on December 7.

Check for photos here.

Source: The Sun

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *