WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- A mother in the United Kingdom almost lost her eyesight when the Christmas gift she bought for her son fired off into her face.
- Clarissa Cary bought a “Magic Staff” for her 16-year-old son but when she accidentally hit the button triggering the object to extend, it strikes her in the face.
- It missed her eye by an inch but the impact caused blood to pour from her face and she was rushed to the hospital.
A mom in the United Kingdom said she almost shoots her eye out when the Christmas present she bought for her son fired off into her face.
Clarissa Cary said she bought a “Magic Staff” — a toy/tool claiming to be effective for regular security and self-defense — for her 16-year-old son Caine. The ‘staff’ starts as two inches and quickly expands to five feet with just a click of a button.
The 44-year-old mom told the British news agency, South West News Service (SWNS), that when she grabbed the bag containing the “Magic Staff”, she accidentally hit the button triggering the object to expand and strike her in the face with so much force that she fell over.
“Thankfully it missed my eye by an inch but I could have lost my eye and the hospital said it could have even caused brain damage,” Cary told the news outlet.
The impact caused blood to pour from her face and she was rushed to the hospital. Cary claimed she may now need plastic surgery to have fragments of the ‘staff’ removed from her face. She added they may leave her “scarred forever.”
“I have an infection under the wound and a lump and it keeps swelling up,” she told SWNS.
Cary shared her ordeal on Facebook in an attempt to warn others about the potential danger of the toy, especially for young children.
“My son has got special needs from having meningitis as a baby and he loves gimmick-type stuff, and as children get older I find it harder to get them stuff they would like,” she told the network. “I’m just grateful that I never actually gave it to him.”
Source: Fox News