WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- A 15-month old baby died after she has overdosed with fentanyl when her mother’s pain relief patch became attached to her skin.
- Baby Amelia Cooper was found lifeless by her father, Ben Cooper, while she was napping with her mother, Sara Talbot.
- It was reported that the likely cause of death was that Amelia had come into contact with her mother’s painkiller patch while co-sleeping.
Sara Talbot and her baby Amelia were asleep in the bed together when Ben Cooper, the little girl’s father, noticed that his daughter was no longer breathing. Talbot told the emergency responders that she noticed her painkiller patch was no longer attached to her body.
A fentanyl opioid patch is more powerful than morphine and it was believed to have been stuck to Amelia’s skin for a “period of time.” The pain relief drug got into Amelia’s body and overdosed her.
Amelia was a “normal” and “healthy” child prior to her death, NY Post wrote. The family lives in Newquay, Cornwall in southwest England, about 250 miles from London.
A toxicology report was released, stating the drug was found in Amelia’s blood, bile and hair samples, but not in her stomach.
During the hearing at Bodmin Magistrates Court, pathologist Dr. Debbie Cook said, “There were no external injuries to contribute to the death, there were no natural diseases and the relevant findings are the toxicological findings.”
“The drug can cause a reduction in breathing, a reduction in blood pressure and in some cases seizures,” she added. “When levels become high there will be a coma and in high levels such as this case, then it can be fatal.”
Cook told the court that blood samples revealed that Amelia had enough fentanyl in her blood to kill an adult.
“To me it suggests that the patch was attached firmly enough to provide transdermal of the drug,” Cook said.
Source: New York Post