Musician dies after drinking protein shake with a teaspoon of caffeine powder

WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:

  • A 21-year-old man from Australia died after ingesting a fatal amount of caffeine powder which is mixed in his protein drink.
  • Autopsy reports say that Lachlan Foote died of caffeine toxicity; a single teaspoon of the type of caffeine powder he used was found to be equal to 50 cups of coffee.
  • Caffeine is a common form of stimulant that is normally an ingredient in whey protein and other health drinks, and is widely sold online.

In a bid to save lives, a family is calling for a caffeine product ban in Australia as well as warning people against using it after their son died after mixing a teaspoon of the substance to his protein shake.

After coming home from a New Year’s Eve celebration last year, Lachlan Foote from New South Wales lost consciousness and later died a day before his 22nd birthday.

Initial reports from news.com.au said that Lachlan died of a drug overdose.

However, when his family received the coroner’s report last week, they finally learned of the lethal caffeine powder.

Based on autopsy reports, Lachlan’s death was due to caffeine toxicity. Unknowingly, he must have consumed a deadly amount of the powder that is mixed to his protein drink.

“A teaspoon is lethal,” said his dad, Nigel, who said that his son innocently used a little bit too much caffeine powder. One teaspoon of the type of caffeine powder he used was equivalent to up to 50 cups of coffee.

Caffeine is a stimulant that boosts athletic performance. Commonly, its powder form is marketed as a diet supplement and is usually added to protein and health drinks. It is also a popular beverage among fitness groups and can be bought online by fitness buffs.

Though it’s unclear where Lachlan got the caffeine powder, Nigel thinks he must have gotten it from a friend or colleague. He also believes that his son was unaware of its potency nor have even read the warning on the label.

 “Lachlan would never have kept it in our kitchen pantry had he known it was a threat to the family,” said Nigel.

On the night he died, Lachlan posted a final Facebook group message to his friends writing, “I think my protein powder has gone off. Anyway…. night lads.“

Caffeine powder ban pushed

Four years after an Ohio teenager died in circumstances similar to Lachlan, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration banned the sale of large quantities of pure caffeine powder in 2018.

Gifted student and champion wrestler Logan Stiner died days before his high school graduation. Like many others, he used the powder which he bought from Amazon, in his protein shakes. And according to eBay, the product is also readily available in Australia.

 “Pure caffeine powder looks just like any other white powder, but a heaped teaspoon of it will kill you. So please warn your friends, talk to your children and perhaps check your kitchen cupboards,” warns Nigel.

 

Source: New York Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *