WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- R. Kelly has been indicted by an Illinois grand jury on 11 new charges in his sexual assault and sexual abuse case, which includes four new felonies with maximum penalties of 30 years in prison, court documents revealed Thursday.
- The 52-year-old was charged with aggravated criminal sexual assault, criminal sexual assault to aggravated criminal sexual abuse, according to documents
- Though Kelly has denied any allegations of sexual misconduct, if found guilty, he can be sentenced to between six and 30 years in prison, based on Illinois law.
On Thursday, singer R. Kelly was charged with 11 new counts of sexual assault and sexual abuse, according to court documents.
Four of the new charges are aggravated criminal sexual assault, two are criminal sexual assault by force, three are aggravated criminal sexual abuse of a victim between 13 and 16 years old and two are aggravated criminal sexual abuse, NBC News reports.
“These ‘new’ charges are not really new — they are the same conduct, just charged differently. Same alleged victim, same time frame, same facts. And we still expect the same results,” R. Kelly’s attorney, Steven Greenberg, said.
“With the latest charges brought against Robert Kelly, he still maintains his innocence and denies all accusations brought against him,” said Darrell Johnson, a representative for Kelly. “He looks forward to a swift and speedy trial.”
In February, the entertainer, whose real name is Robert Sylvester Kelly, was charged with 10 counts of felony aggravated sexual abuse. The 52-year-old singer vehemently denied all the accusations against him.
“I didn’t do this stuff. This is not me. I’m fighting for my f—ing life,” Kelly told CBS News’ Gayle King in an emotional interview in March.
He pleaded not guilty to the charges in February after posting bond and being released from the Cook County Jail.
After the release of the six-part Lifetime docu-series “Surviving R. Kelly” in January, allegations of sexual misconduct against Kelly gained renewed interest. The docu-series detailed a number of women’s claims that they were sexually, physically and mentally abused by the Grammy-winning singer.
Sony Music announced that it was parting ways with Kelly immediately after the docu-series was released..
The alleged sex acts in the original charges occurred between May 1998 and January 2010, authorities said, adding that three of the victims were under the age of 17.
Previously charged with child pornography, Kelly was cleared by a jury in 2008 on all counts. He told King that the person the women described in the docu-series was “Lucifer.”
“I’m not Lucifer. I’m a man. I make mistakes, but I’m not a devil, and by no means am I a monster,” the singer said.
Source: NBC News