WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- A 9-year-old boy was found to have an open wound on his leg days after a suspected poisonous spider bite.
- At first, the boy complained of itchiness on his leg, but days after, the wound started oozing and swelling. Although the wound was dressed and the boy was given medications including antibiotics, a gaping hole appeared on his limb.
- The mother claimed her son was bitten by a black widow, but Mayo Clinic explained that bites from a brown recluse spider causes stinging pain and eats away the flesh surrounding the bite area.
After a suspected poisonous spider bite that supposedly ate away at the flesh on his leg, a 9-year-old boy was left with a ghastly hole on his limb leaving him vulnerable to infections.
Initially, Bobby Cleary complained of itchy swelling on April 1, but his mother Emma Barnett from Essex, told SWNS they didn’t think it was anything serious and just put some Savlon on it.
Several days later, Bobby’s teachers called to tell her that her son was limping and the wound was oozing.
According to Emma, her doctor told them not to worry after giving the boy antihistamine and a pain reliever then bandaged his leg. But the next day, they rushed Bobby to the emergency room because the dressing had filled with fluid. She went on to tell the news outlet that she felt better after the hospital dressed the wound again and gave his son antibiotics.
However, Bobby’s wound worsened over the weekend. When they removed the dressing, there was a gaping hole on his leg.
At once, she dismissed the suspicion that the bite came from a gnat and instead started believing it was a poisonous spider bite. Barnett took Bobby back to the hospital where an IV drip was placed on to flush out the poison.
Typically, spider bites are harmless except for bites from a black widow spider and the brown recluse spider which usually present complications.
Although Barnett claims that a black widow spider bit her son, the Mayo Clinic said that bites from brown recluse spiders produce a sharp pain, and cause the skin around the bite area to die within hours. However, due to similar appearances, it may be difficult to differentiate spider bites from other insect bites.
Barnett said that when her son was still an infant, he contracted an infection that makes him more receptive to developing sepsis. Because of the incident, she told SWNS that for the next few months, she would have to monitor her son to make sure that the wound doesn’t get infected.
Source: Fox News