WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- In 2017, 13-year-old Karanbir Singh Cheema went into anaphylactic shock at school after a student ‘flicked’ cheese at him which landed on his neck.
- Karan almost instantly gasped for air and broke out in hives, then died days later at a
- The student apologized to Karan’s parents, saying: “I only thought he would get a fever, I’m sorry for what I did.”
Karanbir Singh Cheema, also known as Karan, suffered a severe allergic reaction to a slice of cheese thrown at him by a student at William Perkin Church of England High School on June 28, 2017. The cheese was just the size of a post-it note.
The teen student who ‘flicked’ the cheese, which caused the 13-year-old’s death has apologized for what he did.
After giving evidence at an inquest, he told Karan’s parents: ‘I’m sorry, I’m sorry for what I did’.
The boy who ‘flicked’ the cheese said he didn’t know that Karan could die from an allergic reaction and thought he would only break out in a ‘rash or a fever’.
One of Karan’s schoolmates, who knew he had a dairy allergy, gave the teen the piece of cheese, before he was overheard saying ‘Karan is allergic to cheese’, the inquest heard.
Karan was unconscious within minutes as medics rushed to save his life. After ten days, Karan died at Great Ormond Street hospital.
The two minors involved in the ‘cheese flick’ who cannot be identified for legal reasons, gave evidence privately at the recent hearing.
The teen who ‘flicked’ the cheese at Karan said he thought Karan would ‘get a rash or have a fever or something similar to that – I didn’t know it was that serious’.
The other boy who handed the cheese to him said that he knew Karan was allergic to dairy but he didn’t know that cheese is a dairy product.
The inquest heard the boy who threw the cheese was known to throw food at other students on a daily basis and had chucked a banana skin at someone earlier that day.
The coroner asked: ‘Why did you flick the cheese at him?’
He replied: ‘I don’t know, it was usual behavior in Year 8,” adding later “we would play games with whatever we had, that being food.”
Karan was already ‘gasping for air’ and had broken out in hives when paramedics arrived.
The school staff had already administered two spoons of Piriton, an EpiPen and given him his inhaler but shortly after the paramedics came, Karan stopped breathing.
According to The Guardian, Dr. Adam Fox, a consultant pediatrician brought in by the Metropolitan police to review the case, said the rarity of the event suggested there could be other factors at play; Karan also had asthma and chronic eczema.
A pediatric consultant at Great Ormond Street hospital, said Karan died after his parents agreed to gradually withdraw the drugs that were keeping him alive. He said the cause of death was severe global hypoxic brain injury and anaphylaxis.
Source: Daily Mail Online