- A British teen who was found unconscious while taking a bath at her home died from a brain injury and a rare complication of pneumonia.
- Eighteen-year-old Amber Rummels was discovered underwater in a tub by her mother, Anita Lewis, as the faucets continued to flow.
- Paramedics were able to get the teen’s heart started again, but she passed away four days later at a hospital.
A teenager from the U.K. died from hypoxic brain injury and a complication of pneumonia after she nearly drowned due to sudden arrhythmic death syndrome, or SADS.
Amber Rummels, 18, from Cardiff, UK, was discovered underwater in her bath on December 1 while the faucets were still running. Her mom, Anita Lewis, pulled her out of the bath and performed CPR until the paramedics arrived.
Paramedics were able to revive her, but after four days, the teenager died while at the hospital.
Rummels, a waitress, was studying hospitality at Vale College, died from hypoxic brain injury and sudden arrhythmic death syndrome (SADS), according to her doctors. SADS is the sudden unexpected death of adolescents and adults.
The grieving mom recalled that she woke up in the middle of the night to find that there was no electricity.
“Water was coming through the light fitting in the hallway,” Anita revealed. “I could then hear a dripping sound of water coming from the bathroom.”
Amber’s mom was able to unlock the bathroom door using a pen.
“I looked into the bath and I saw the water was running from both taps. Amber was lying in the fetal position. I grabbed Amber out of the bath under her arms and I put her on the floor,” her mom said.
The coroner also found it was “possible but unlikely” that an electric facial exfoliator found in the bathtub with Amber could have caused an electric shock that led to her arrhythmia, according to the New York Post.
Amber’s father, Steven Rummels, described her daughter as someone with“a strong character.” He added: “She was fun and caring, and we’ll all miss her dearly.”
Source: New York Post