WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- A 3-year-old pup named Canon dies after eating a piece of sugar-free chewing gum.
- Xylitol, a sugar alcohol used as a sweetener, may be harmless to people but can be fatal to dogs if ingested.
- As Christy Figlio moves on from Canon’s death, she has high hopes that this story will serve as an example for other pet parents.
A husky-mix named Canon, had a promising life to live at 3 years old until an unfortunate incident happened that abruptly changed the situation. The pup ate a piece of sugar-free chewing gum last weekend, causing his untimely death.
“I’ve cried a lot about it,” Christy Figlio, pup’s owner, informed Fox News.
When Figlio and her husband returned home to their two pooches Canon and Conrad, Figlio instantly noticed Canon — an 85-pound dog with a huge appetite– wasn’t acting normally by showing very little interest in his food that night.
The following day, Canon was “sluggish and inactive.” His situation worsened in the early afternoon, unable to stand thus prompting Figlio to bring him to a vet clinic.
Veterinarians examined his blood, noticing his white blood cell count got elevated and his liver enzymes were unusually high, Figlio said.
Vets initially diagnosed Canon with a liver infection and gave antibiotics before sending him home. Few hours later, the couple brought him back when he started convulsing.
The next day at 4 a.m. Figlio and husband came-up with a hard decision of euthanizing Canon. They were informed Canon’s liver was “shutting down” and developed blood clotting problems– both signs of xylitol poisoning.
Xylitol — a sugar alcohol used as a sweetener — normally found in sugar-free chewing gums and mints, toothpaste and store-bought baked goods, detailed by PetMD. Though harmless to humans, the ingredient could be deadly if ingested by dogs. The “ingestion of xylitol or xylitol-containing products causes a rapid release of the hormone insulin, causing a sudden decrease in the dog’s blood glucose,” PetMD narrated.
Some signs of xylitol poisoning in dogs involve weakness, vomiting, seizures, trembling, diarrhea and acute collapse, says Pet Health Network.
Figlio didn’t know how Canon got hold of the gum. The veterinarian said the dog could have simply picked up a piece of chewed gum during a walk or playtime.
“I had never heard of xylitol poisoning before,” Figlio added. “I was always worried about chocolate — but that’s nothing compared to this.”
Moving on, Figlio is happy that many people have seen Canon’s story, though still grieving. Hoping this story will serve as an example for other pet parents.
“At least we feel like we’re helping,” she finally said.
Source: Fox News