Vanessa Bryant blasts Evan Rachel Wood for calling Kobe Bryant a ‘rapist’ in tweet

WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:

  • Vanessa Bryant, Kobe’s wife, slammed Evan Rachel Wood’s one-year-old tweet calling her husband a “rapist.”
  • Bryant said that Wood doesn’t “know the facts of the case” and her tweet is “false” and “insensitive.”
  • Kobe faced a sexual assault in 2003, which was later dismissed.

Kobe Bryant’s wife Vanessa Bryant knocked Evan Rachel Wood’s tweet calling the NBA star a “rapist.”

Wood’s tweet came right after Kobe’s death on January 26, 2020, where the basketball icon and 13-year-old daughter Gianna died in a helicopter crash. As soon as the news about the accident broke, the actress tweeted, “What has happened is tragic. I am heartbroken for Kobe’s family. He was a sports hero. He was also a rapist. And all of these truths can exist simultaneously.”

On February 27, more than a year after the fatal helicopter crash, Bryant just learned about Wood’s post and took it on her Instagram story.

“This just came to my attention,” she wrote, tagging the actress. “Your false, insensitive, defamatory and slanderous tweet on 1/26/20 is vile and disturbing to say the least. Behavior like this is part of the reason why innocent black men go to jail for crimes they didn’t commit. An accusation doesn’t make someone guilty. YOU DON’T KNOW THE FACTS OF THE CASE.”

Wood did not comment on Bryant’s post. E! News reached out to Wood but had not received immediate comment.

In 2003, Kobe faced a sexual assault case involving an unknown woman. Kobe denied the allegations and said that they had a “consensual” encounter. The rape charge was dropped as the accuser refused to attest.

A year after, the Lakers star released an apology statement: “I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did…”

The accuser sued Kobe and they reached a settlement in 2005.

That rape case was somehow the highlight of Wood’s tweet after the NBA icon’s death last year — which led to floods of criticisms from social media users, especially from Kobe’s fans.

Shortly after her first tweet, the actress wrote again on Twitter saying that her post was “not a condemnation or a celebration” but “a reminder that everyone will have different feelings and there is room for us all to grieve together instead of fighting. Everyone has lost. Everyone will be triggered, so please show kindness and respect to all.”

She later on deleted both tweets as she continued to face more counterattacks online.

The Westworld actress has no known personal connection to Kobe. An activist and a rape survivor, she made headlines recently that she was “groomed” and abused for years by her ex Marilyn Manson, who denied her accusations and other abuse claims by several other women.

Source: Yahoo News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *