WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- An English woman, 60, died in a freak accident last November after she fell in her home while holding a mason jar-style drinking glass with a screw-top lid.
- The 10-inch metal straw she used with the mason jar-style cup pierced through her left eye socket and into her brain.
- Elena Struthers-Gardner was rushed to a hospital, where she died of a traumatic brain injury.
Metal straws are considered big help to the environment but one English woman’s encounter with the eco-friendly alternative turned fatal.
Last November, Elena Struthers-Gardner died in a freak accident after she fell in her Dorset home while holding a mason jar-style drinking glass with a screw-top lid. Struthers-Gardner used the cup often.
According to The Sun, officials reported that the 10-inch metal straw she used with the mason jar-style cup pierced through her left eye socket and into her brain. She died of a traumatic brain injury,
“There is no ‘give’ in them at all,” assistant coroner Brendan Allen said. “If someone does fall on one and it’s pointed in the wrong direction, serious injury can occur.”
Officials issued a warning that metal straws should never be used with a lid that fixes them into place.
“Her glass cup was lying on the floor still in tact and the straw was still in the jar,” her wife, Mandy, said in the official hearing. “I could see the straw had gone through her left eye.”
Struthers-Gardner was taken to a nearby hospital but succumbed to her injuries shortly after.
The 60-year-old reportedly also had mobility issues, a result of a horse-riding accident at 21. She was prone to falling over since then.
“I just feel that in the hands of mobility-challenged people like Elena, or children, or even able-bodied people losing their footing, these [straws] are so long and very strong,” Mandy said. “I miss her very much, she was taken far too early. I hope this never happens to anyone else.”
Source: Inside Edition