Worker dies at California raisin packing plant after clothing gets caught in processor

WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:

  • A 33-year-old worker at a raisin packing plant in California has died on Friday after her clothes got caught in a processing machine.
  • According to the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), her clothes got tangled with a part of the machine and she struck her head.
  • Two nearby employees immediately turned off the machine and called 911, but she had already died by the time the first responders arrived.

A worker at a raisin packing plant in Sanger, California has died on Friday morning after her clothes got caught in a processing machine.

According to the Fresno County Sheriff’s Office, 33-year-old Yaneth Lopez Valladares has been a contract worker at the Del Rey Packing Co. for two years.

 

The California Division of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recounted the details in a statement that was reported by The Associated Press.

OSHA stated that Valladares was removing debris from the equipment when a piece of her clothing got entangled with a shaft to a cylinder that breaks up bunches of raisins. Her head got struck and she was “severely injured.”

According to a report from the Fresno Bee, two nearby employees noticed she was trapped and immediately turned off the machine. They promptly called 911, but she had already died by the time the first responders arrived.

Gerald Chooljian, the president of Del Rey Packing Co., issued a statement that expressed the company’s “deep sorrow” regarding the incident.

Fresno County Sheriff’s spokesman, Tony Botti, told NBC affiliate KSEE of Fresno, “This is obviously a very traumatic situation. For the owner, for the employees to see one of their colleagues lose their life so suddenly in a job that they do on a regular basis and maybe take for granted.”

The incident is currently being investigated by OSHA for further details. The department will also look into any possible violations at this facility and if proper training was given to employees.

 

Source: New York Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *