Young Hockey Coach Dies from COVID-19 Complications Just Days After First Feeling Ill


  • A 29-year-old hockey coach from Texas passed away due to COVID-19 complications after three days of being sick.
  • Tyler Amburgey tested positive for the virus upon his death.
  • His family said that he took a sleeping tablet but the pill combined with the coronavirus slowed his heart that eventually led to its dysfunction.

A 29-year-old hockey coach from Texas succumbed to COVID-19 complications on August 29 after being sick for three days prior to his death.

According to his wife Aimee, as told by the New York Times, her husband Tyler Amburgey, thought that what he had was a usual cold, which he usually had during late summer for continuously going back and forth between the Texas heat and frigid ice rinks.

His wife also told news station WFAA that Tyler was nauseous during the first night, then he had experienced other symptoms such as sleeplessness, shortness of breath, migraines, and body pains over the following couple of days.

On the third day when Aimee checked on his husband, he was unconscious. A neighbor did CPR as they waited for the 911 response team, but Tyler had already no pulse, the WFAA reported.

Paul Hinds, Tyler’s grandfather, told the Journal Star that Tyler was unaware that he contracted the coronavirus. He tested positive when he died.

Tyler’s family said that he took a sleeping tablet to become more rested with his sickness. However, the medical examiner said that the drug mixed with COVID-19 slowed his heart, which ultimately resulted in its stoppage.

“Hockey meant everything to him,” Aimee told the Times. “When he got a new pair of skates, he was like a kid at Christmas. You never saw anyone so pumped up about new equipment, even shin guards.”

She told WFAA that Tyler was “a great guy, and loving husband and a loving father.”

In a tribute released on its Facebook page, the Texas Warriors Youth Hockey said: “Tyler was a genuine kind soul who left us with an abundance of wonderful memories. Life will not be the same without him.”

The organization set up a scholarship fund to honor the late hockey coach. 

Before becoming a coach, Tyler was playing as a defensive player for the Peoria Rivermen, a Southern Professional Hockey League team. On Saturday, the team reportedly hosted a memorial service in honor of Tyler.

According to the Times, Tyler went in three professional leagues during his playing career, but he met several injuries during his stint which included multiple concussions. The outlet also reported that Tyler’s brain was donated to Boston University’s CTE Center, to confirm if he contracted the disease.

Based on the WFAA’s report last week, Tyler’s death was associated with the outbreak of over 30 confirmed COVID-19 cases across several youth hockey teams in Dallas-Forth Worth. Based on the tracking by The New York Times, Texas state has 710,035 recorded coronavirus cases, with over 30,000 new infections in the past week.

Source: People

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *