WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- British YouTube prankster Jay Swingler’s “Cement-Your-Head-In-A-Microwave Challenge” on Wednesday went really bad.
- Fellow pranksters failed to free him so he required a fire brigade to rescue him from suffocation.
- Emergency rescue officials warn other pranksters about dangerous stunts just to get a high number of YouTube views.
Jay Swingler, a 22-year-old YouTuber handles the TGFbro YouTube channel with Romell Henry. They post videos doing crazy and dangerous stunts like playing with explosives or trying to set themselves in jelly. Some of these videos actually garnered more than 2 million views.
The YouTuber from Wolverhampton, England did a stunt Wednesday that almost took his life. He put his head inside a microwave and filled it with Polyfilla. The paste hardened and began to constrict Swingler’s breathing tube.
The “cementing” video was posted Thursday. As of Friday night, it had more than 1.7 million views.
Swingler’s friends attempted to free him but failed. His head was stuck in the microwave for 90 minutes. Firefighters and paramedics arrived after a friend called 999. They were able to free his head after nearly an hour.
West Midlands Fire Service Watch Commander Shaun Dakin said in a statement: “Taking the microwave apart was tricky… (Swingler) was very relieved when we removed a large chunk of the Polyfilla with a screwdriver, allowing him to breathe more easily… As funny as this sounds, this young man could quite easily have suffocated or have been seriously injured.”
“Oh my God, oh my God, I love you guys,” Swingler told his rescuers when he was freed. He said he “never appreciated life so much, ever.”
West Midlands Fire Station posted a statement to Twitter: “We’re seriously unimpressed. Five of our firefighters were tied up for an hour this afternoon, freeing a YouTube prankster whose head had been ‘cemented’ inside a microwave oven.”
Commander Simon Woodward said that if fire crews will be busy rescuing irresponsible YouTube pranksters, the crews won’t be able to help others in need of assistance.
Woodward said, “What I’d like to do is remind everybody not to put their lives at risk for the sake of other people’s entertainment.”
On Friday morning, Gizmodo reported that the video already lured advertisements. The ads were gone by early afternoon.
A YouTube spokesperson explained to Gizmodo that the video was demonetized because of “content that promotes harmful or dangerous acts that result in serious physical, emotional, or psychological injury is not suitable for advertising.”
Both Swingler and YouTube and Swingler were not available for comments.
Source: The Washington Post