WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- Martin Gugino, the 75-year-old man in the viral video online where police officers pushed him to the ground has a fractured skull and is not able to walk.
- Buffalo Police suspends officers involved after the video of the incident showing the officers involved.
- Gugino said that he appreciates the concern but insists that there are more pressing issues to focus on than his condition.
Martin Gugino, the 75-year-old protester who police officers knocked to the ground during one of the protests in Buffalo, New York earlier this month has a fractured skull and is not able to walk, his lawyer said.
Kelly Zarcone released a statement to the media to update the public about her client’s situation after his injuries from the June 4 incident. This follows the reports that the old man sustained a fractured skull after the incident with the police.
“I am not at liberty to elaborate at this time other than to confirm that his skull was fractured. While he is not able to walk yet, we were able to have a short conversation before he became too tired. He is appreciative of all of the concern about him but he is still focused on the issues rather than himself,” she said.
Video of the incident shows the old man walking towards the direction where the police officers are during the protest before one of the police officers pushed him backward to the ground. The police officers are seen leaving the old man on the sidewalk, bleeding and motionless after he hit his head on the ground from the fall.
Gugino still needs physical therapy to recover from the incident and is in no condition for an in-person interview. Zarcone passed on a message from him during the press statement Tuesday: “I think it’s very unnecessary to focus on me. There are plenty of other things to think about besides me.”
Zarcone said her client is focused on getting better. “Barring something unusual and unforeseen, I don’t expect much change at all this week” she said.
Buffalo Police suspends two police officers after the video of the incident was shared widely across social media. Both police officers involved face second-degree assault charges.
President Trump posted a widely-condemned tweet on social media about his take on the incident. He suggested without evidence that the old man is part of a political protest movement, indicating that incident with the police is a set up.
Zarcone released a statement to multiple media outlets last week, saying that her client that had suffered a brain injury from the incident but that he “feels encouraged and uplifted by the outpouring of support which he has received from so many people all over the globe. It helps. He is looking forward to healing and determining what his ‘new normal’ might look like.”
Source: The Hill