WHAT’S BEING CLAIMED:
- Marijuana and other stuff were among the things recovered from the house of Redskins’ Montae Nicholson while authorities conducted a search warrant in connection 21-year-old Julia Crabbe’s death.
- However, Nicholson’s attorney told the Post that his client had no knowledge about the drugs because they were brought in by a guest.
- Nicholson and another man, identified as Kyle Askew-Collins had brought an unconscious Crabbe to a nearby hospital on Thursday, where she later died.
The Washington Post and USA Today reported that drugs were found by authorities at Washington Redskins safety Montae Nicholson’s home during a search warrant in connection with the death of a drug overdose victim whom Nicholson brought to the ER last week.
Although pills, marijuana and foil containing some residue were found at Nicholson’s Ashburn townhouse, the search warrant didn’t say who the drugs belonged to. Other items recovered included a safe, black box, iPhone, $20 bill, towels, blankets, a coat and a notebook from the home.
“Montae would have no knowledge of the drugs because they belonged to a guest,” said one of Nicholson’s attorneys, Mark Dycio, in a phone interview on Tuesday. He added saying, “It’s a tragedy that the news is focused on where she died instead of the drug epidemic ravaging the country.”
The search was conducted hours after Nicholson and another man named Kyle Askew-Collins had brought Julia Crabbe, 21, to a nearby suburban hospital. She was later pronounced dead at the emergency room, the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office said.
The warrant also said that the hospital said that Crabbe looked “dead” when she was being transported to the hospital. Apparently, there were signs that Crabbe was suffering from an overdose.
Currently, the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office is trying to establish the circumstances surrounding Crabbe’s death. Though a toxicology report will establish what drugs she may have taken, that will still take months to complete.
After Nicholson and Crabbe returned to Nicholson’s home after dining out with friends on Wednesday, Crabbe was later discovered unconscious in the bathroom. The Post said an unnamed individual told investigators that Askew-Collins called him to say Crabbe was foaming at the mouth and looked like she was overdosing.
As per the report, instead of calling 911, Nicholson and Askew-Collins decided to take her to the hospital themselves. At around 1:30 a.m., they arrived at the Inova Emergency Room-Ashburn HealthPlex, and left Crabbe in the ER.
In a statement released on Thursday, the Washington Redskins said the team was “aware of the tragic event,” and are sending their deepest sympathies. They have also pledged to cooperate with local authorities.